New Stucco (1-2 days old) - Spider cracks all over

Old 02-06-11, 12:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Stucco (1-2 days old) - Spider cracks all over

Hi, I hired a contractor to do a smooth stucco finish on my new addition. I had a net membrane applied after the brown coat. After 1-2 days of applying the top coat (smooth finish), the surface has thin spider web cracks from top to bottom. Is this normal? It has thin spider web cracks all over the house after a day or two.

Someone told me that he may not be applying enough pressure when troweling or is not troweling enough? Is this correct? The temperature is only 65 degrees during the day and 45 degrees at night.

The material he is using is a premixed back from Stucco supply that has the color I want.

If anyone can let me know whether this is normal for a brand new smooth finish or if he has bad techniques??

Thanks!

Old 02-07-11, 08:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What does your contractor have to say about the cracks?

Old 02-09-11, 08:05 AM
T
It is very common and normal. In extreme cases it can be caused by overworking the finish.

Old 02-18-11, 01:21 AM
P
Thanks for your comments. After speaking to a new stucco guy, he stated that doing a smooth coat, he troweled too fast and not enough coats/passes. He did not apply enough pressure and needed to trowel it more than once. I fired the other guy and had this new guy do it. When he did the other half of the house, no spider cracks at all with no burn marks from his troweling.

The stucco I got is a 2 toned color. The more you trowel, the more the 2 toned color comes out.

Thanks for your advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: