Concrete Backyard - Can I Do This?

Old 02-06-11, 06:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Backyard - Can I Do This?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and I will have a ton of questions. My husband and I inherited a 3 bedroom townhouse in Northeast Philly that is fairly structurally sound (we have to get some electrical work done but it has good bones).

My question today is about my backyard. It's a typical postage stamp sized city backyard, but there is definitely room for a teeny tiny herb garden, a grill, and a table and chairs. There's a disgusting rotten fence across the back that I can definitely replace easily by purchasing something from Home Depot or Lowe's. The side walls are concrete blocks. They're solid but ugly, and I'm planning to paint them and plant some climbing plants to cover.

Biggest problem is the floor (ground?) It's poured concrete that's in terrible condition. Uneven, cracked, pitted everywhere. Once the snow melts I"ll try to post a picture. So, is this something that I can fix myself? Do I have to remove what's there or can I do something with self leveling concrete? The yard is probably 400 square feet at the most, so if I can get away without hiring a contractor I would love to. There is some drainage that I need to account for I think, but can someone give me some tips on where to start here? Thanks everyone!

Old 02-07-11, 06:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I'd tear this out and put in a paver patio instead

You could do concrete again if you wanted but I seriously doubt what you have can be repaired from the sound of it

Old 02-07-11, 12:26 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree. The only fix for badly broken concrete in a climate like yours is tear out and replace. A coating or overlay will not solve any of your problems and will cause some different ones.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: