How to repair concrete flake off in garage?

Old 02-14-11, 03:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to repair concrete flake off in garage?

Ice has been building up at our garage door and freezing there, the snow is melting off cars over night and running in that direction. I should have kept up on it more. I chipped away at the ice a few weeks ago and then again tonight. I noticed that tonight, the top layer of the cement flaked off. It's the are where the cement is taper down to meet the driveway. It's very thin flaking however I am upset that I did this and want to repair it this spring so it doesn't get worse.

Do I just use quickrite cement and trowel it until it gets smooth? Or should I use something else? Would sealing the garage floor with a good cement sealer help as well?

Thanks,

Old 02-15-11, 03:12 AM
P
If the flaking is minor, it may be best to just leave it alone. A sealer couldn't hurt though. As for the repair material, the best one you're likely to find locally would be quikrete concrete resurfacer or something similar. If you do this, make certain to follow all directions, including those for surface prep, to a "T". Also be aware that the patch will be MUCH darker than your existing concrete. That's why I said to just leave it alone; a patch often looks much worse than the original problem.

Old 02-15-11, 08:17 AM
M
Hm, I think I'm going to patch it, I don't mind if it's darker or not. I'd rather have it fixed them have it match in color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: