Leveling Concrete Patio

Old 02-20-11, 06:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leveling Concrete Patio

I have a 12' x 14' concrete patio that is joined to my house slab and slopes away into the yard. There is a crack running parallel to the house wall positioned about 2/3 of the way from the house to the yard. At that point, the outer part of the patio slab has taken a more acute downward slope. There is no significant separation or high-low at the crack line as the rebar is preventing that. If you lay a long straightedge across the patio (across the crack), the outermost edge of the patio slab (at the yard) is about 1" lower than it should be. I am thinking about covering the patio using some of these 18" x 18" recycled rubber mats that look like brick pavers. It would be nice to level the patio before I install them. Is it possible to apply something like Quikrete leveling compound to just this area? In looking at their literature, they I couldn't see any maximum application thickness. It would be feathered to zero at the crack and to about 1" at the outer edge. Should I be thinking about some other way the level this area?

Old 02-21-11, 06:19 AM
P
Not sure about that exact product, but many patch materials tell you to add pea gravel if you're applying them more than an inch thick, then use the straight product to get it down to a feather edge.
For what you're doing with it, your plan sounds feasible.
What caused the front of the patio to sink as it has? Is there a steep slope with erosion involved? Before trying to fix what you've got, you may want to correct the original sinking problem first. Good luck.

Old 02-21-11, 06:32 AM
J
Thanks

Pecos - Thanks for the reply. I can't see any obvious reason for the settling of the outer part of the patio. We have lived here since 1997 and it's been about the same the entire time. The house was built about 1980. I have even through about trying to raise that area by some type of hydraulic jacking but haven't pursued that as I expected it to be too expensive.

Old 02-21-11, 06:50 AM
P
Call a local slabjacking (mudjacking) contractor to get an estimate on raising it. They'd be in the yellow pages under concrete contractors. Then you can determine how you'd like to proceed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: