Concrete slab crack...major issue?

Old 02-21-11, 07:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete slab crack...major issue?

we have room between the house and the att.garage that has cracked across it's width.about three feet out from the end wall.this room and the garage were added onto the original structure at diff times i'm guessing because there is one step down from the house and another step down to the garage.when we pulled up the carpet,we found a floor drain at the end of the room between the crack and the outside wall.at the wall one foot from the drain is a drain pipe capped with an old cast iron trap.were thinking these pipes run out into the yard to old dry well/cistern.the floor looks like it slopes to the drain.the floor does not look like it has dropped.but to the right of the crack at the top of the wall in the corner next to the garage entry door..the drywall is buckled.the wall does not look like it has dropped and i can see no crack on the outside of the foundation wall.the garage and this room both have block foundation walls.we are finally getting around to remodeling this room,the floor crack and the wall buckle have been there for 16 years and does appear to have gotten any worse. i need ideas on how i should proceed and if this appears to be a major repair.also the wall where the drain pipe is will be knocked out next year for a room addition.thanks.

Old 02-24-11, 03:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why are you remodeling the room if you are going to demolish it for an extension?

In answer to your problem, it sounds like water entered the outside wall & seeped down under the slab. If you plan to fix the crack, I would determine if that's what actually happened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: