Repairing exterior parging over cinder block wall?

Old 03-02-11, 07:43 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing exterior parging over cinder block wall?

My house is positioned on a hill, so that the front has about 2-3 feet of the exterior basement wall showing and the back has about 6-8 feet at points.

The wall is concrete block and has a layer of parging applied over the top.

In the back, when we moved in to the house, we noticed that Ivy had creeped its way up underneath the parging layer and started to crack the parging in various spots. We should have addressed the issue earlier, as now large pieces have flaked off, exposing the wall underneath.

So my questions:

1. Do I need to remove all the parging from the wall in order to fix this issue, or can I simply remove the cracked areas and patch this up?

2. Now that the parging has been cracked off, is there any risk of further damage to the wall? I was under the impression from our home inspector that parging was almost entirely cosmetic, but now Im not so sure.

I don't really care about the aesthetic downside to simply patching the bare spots (I know it will be at a different thickness from the rest), but I do care about the future integrity of the wall. Luckily, the area is under a deck and porch overhang, so it receives almost no moisture contact, but Id still like to know.

Thank you!

Old 03-02-11, 08:09 AM
G
One additional detail:

A few years ago we had a dryer outlet and vent installed in the basement, and in order to do this, the contractor cut a hole through the drywall in the basement, through the cinder block exterior wall, and through the parging. They then ran the metal tube through this hole and connected a vent to the outside.

What would be the proper way to seal this? It seems on inspection that they sealing job they did was absolutely minimal (only using the spray sealer that foams up to a larger size. Should they have done something else? Will this have resulted in moisture getting in to the blocks?

Old 03-13-11, 08:38 PM
E
If the concrete block under the parging is in good condition, then it is primarily a cosmetic issue. Can you tell if the ivy is what ripped the parging off the wall, or did the ivy take advantage of an area that was already damaged?

If the surrounding parging is sound, then patching is possible if the root problem has been corrected. Matching color may be tricky, however. Try to create a squared off edge with the existing parging before applying a repair. Don't "feather edge" the repair, even of the product you are using claims that you can.

Old 03-14-11, 05:58 AM
B
Make sure prior to any repair work consisting or re-parging the walls that you thoroughly clean up the surface of existing block wall. Don't use a pressure power washer or you will very likely force additioinal parging to come looose. You might also consider using a bonding agent to the bare block before applying any of the new parge. Check with your local Masonry/concrete materiels supplier.

Good luck with your repair.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: