drill hole through foundation

Old 03-04-11, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
drill hole through foundation

I need to drill a hole through a concrete foundation under an exterior wall (above ground surface) just big enough to run a garden hose through. I'm not sure, off hand, of the thickness of the foundation wall, but I believe it's probably 8 inches or so at the most. I'd like it to be a relatively clean and round-looking hole with a relatively smooth inside surface. What's probably gonna be a the proper tool to accomplish this without much trouble/effort? A certain size hammer drill with a particular type of bit, maybe? Or something else, any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-11, 06:23 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I would stop at one of the rental shops and look at a one day or half day rental of an electric hammer drill. They will have the necessary bit and be able to advise on the correct size.

Bud

Old 03-04-11, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
And you want a rotary hammer... not a little 1/2" hammer drill. With the size bit you will be using, they will surely suggest a 1 1/2" rotary hammer.

Old 03-04-11, 07:30 PM
Okay great, thanks. And would I probably want to drill a smaller hole (pilot hole) through first, before drilling the final (probably 1 1/4" or so size hole)?

Old 03-04-11, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
And would I probably want to drill a smaller hole (pilot hole) through first, before drilling the final (probably 1 1/4" or so size hole)?
Likely a good idea. Also consider drilling from both sides with your larger bit. Concrete has a tendency to blow out when drilled from the back side. That way you will get a cleaner hole on both the inside and out.

Old 03-07-11, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
For a garden hose, you probably won't need more than a 7/8 to 1" bit for a snug fit, making sealing from the elements easier. I just did this in a remodel for a raised dehumidifier the customer wanted to evacuate to the atmosphere, and a 7/8 worked fine.

Old 03-07-11, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
you probably won't need more than a 7/8 to 1" bit for a snug fit
You're right there'd be no reason to make the hole bigger than need be. However, I was thinking of maybe inserting short piece of pvc pipe (a length the same width as the foundation) into the hole to serve as sort of a liner for the passage. Not sure why though. So probably won't.

Old 03-09-11, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rent a hammer drill,,, you'll only need 1 size bit & ( to me ) placing the pvc liner's a good idea,,, mark your hole & either start from the outside & go all the way thru OR mark both sides of the wall - start outside - drill 5" - go inside & drill 3",,, when the holes approach each other there will be a tendency for the bit to ' grab ' & lock up so watch out. good luck !

the smoothest hole's made w/a diamond core drill but its VERY unlikely you can rent a weka ( brand ) drill.

Old 03-09-11, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by stadry1 View Post
rent a hammer drill,,, you'll only need 1 size bit & ( to me ) placing the pvc liner's a good idea,,, mark your hole & either start from the outside & go all the way thru OR mark both sides of the wall - start outside - drill 5" - go inside & drill 3",,, when the holes approach each other there will be a tendency for the bit to ' grab ' & lock up so watch out. the smoothest hole's made w/a diamond core drill but its VERY unlikely you can rent a weka ( brand ) drill.
Right, there's no weka brand drills or diamond core drills for rent. And don't I probably actually want a rotary hammer drill as opposed to a regular hammer drill? And wouldn't things go easier if I were to just drill a pilot hole through first? Kind of hard to match hole location going in from other side otherwise I'd think.

Old 03-09-11, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Matching holes from opposite sides of a wall would be near impossible without precise measurements. It would be a PITA anyway. I agree with running a 1/4" or so pilot through in one shot. THEN run your final bit from both ends. You won't have the grabbing, either. Should be a smooth bore if it follows the pilot.