Concrete patio efflorescence

Old 03-05-11, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete patio efflorescence

We had a colored concrete patio poured in our backyard approx 6 weeks ago. The concrete was purchased from a highly reputable company and work was completed to high level of satisfaction (there is no doubt about quality of product or install). The color we chose was a nice brown but the efflorescence makes it look almost faded tan. The contractor came and cleaned the patio once but it didnt really seem to make a difference. One thing I noticed was that when the concrete gets wet, the color is about what we expected. Is there a particular product or technique that anyone would recommend or suggest to help get rid of the efflorescence???? Also since this is an outdoor patio, am I spinning my wheels trying to remove the efflorescence (the patio will be rained on and there is no way to prevent it from getting wet in the future)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-11, 10:46 AM
You can always expect some effloresence from concrete and pigmented concrete with a darker darker surface will show it much more where it is rarely noticed on a plain slab. Was the pigment in the pre-mixed concrete or was it cast by the contractor after dumping or placing?

Some pigments like natural dark umbers or burnt umbers are not 100% pure and there can be some salts that will eventually leach out with time and exposure. The synthetic pigments and about 99%+ pure and much stronger, so less is needed.

Dick

Old 03-05-11, 11:31 AM
It was pre-mixed by concrete mfg.

Old 03-05-11, 07:20 PM
Are you sure it's efflorescence? I tend to doubt it. Was the concrete sealed? If so, it may just be the sealer blushing (turning hazy because rising water vapor is trapped beneath it). If it wasn't sealed, it may just be the color of the cured concrete, which always cures much lighter if it's not sealed.

Old 03-09-11, 04:55 PM
pecos, are you going to nashville next week ?

Old 03-12-11, 03:50 AM
No,
I just got back from a trip to Chicago last week and have too much to do. I'd like to go though. I just took a new job within the industry and am no longer contracting.