First time concrete question

Old 04-09-11, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time concrete question

I need to lay a 4'x5' concrete stoop under a sliding patio door and have a quick question. It's the first time I've layed concrete, so bear with me. Everything, including digging, building the form, gravel, pouring etc. makes sense to me. The only question I have is in regard to the edging. If I have a 4" deep form and I run the edging trowel around the perimeter of the form, won't there be a small groove/line on the side of the concrete where the bottom of the edging trowel notch stops and the rest of the concrete below it forms against the wood form? I'm afraid of running the edging trowel and after taking off the form, having a line or some sort of depth imperfection the actual sides of the concrete. Again, this is probably a non-issue, but when starting a new project, I like to think everything out. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-11, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
Yes, there will be a slight line on the edge of your concrete. What looks much worse is to have a sharp corner on top edge of your concrete that chips and breaks away easily. The rounded corner is much more durable and the line on the side is not unattractive. Think of it as a racing stripe. When doing the edging run over it several times. At first you will probably hit some rocks but just like troweling the surface as you work the edging area you will push the rocks in and bring cement to the surface for a smoother appearance.

Old 04-10-11, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! That makes sense and is exactly what I needed.