Building on top of buried pool?

Old 04-30-11, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building on top of buried pool?

I'm currently facing a dilemma…I want to partially remove an inground pool in my backyard. Drainage holes punched on the bottom and 3ft of the edges will be removed. Soil dumped in the pool afterwards. How difficult would it be to build a structure on top in the future? Would it be a lot more labor intensive than a pool free backyard? Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-11, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What type structure are you planning? A garden green house, maybe, but something more substantial, all the disturbed earth must be removed, including the pool walls and bottom. Big project.

Old 04-30-11, 02:20 PM
How do replace disturbed earth with undisturbed earth? I would think that compaction of the fill material as it went in would be what was needed. If that is the case, why not do that now as it's being filled in?

I assume this is a concrete pool?

Old 04-30-11, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As was said, if it's just a shed or similar that won't require necessarily footings (and you never plan anything that will)...if the fill is compacted, its not a big deal.

I'd wonder how much real price difference there would be to just remove it all, if you are already taking out 3' of the walls. The equipment (backhoe, jackhammer, bobcat...whatever) and trucks will already be there...why not do it all at once?

Old 04-30-11, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
How do replace disturbed earth with undisturbed earth? I would think that compaction of the fill material as it went in would be what was needed. If that is the case, why not do that now as it's being filled in?

I assume this is a concrete pool?
You compact it. It is not known that the OP didn't just fill in the pool. It is disturbed earth. As Vic said, with the equipment already there, why not just remove it all. In addition we can't assume it is a concrete pool. It could be gunite or some other non stable material that wouldn't be suitable for a footing to sit on.

Old 04-30-11, 04:15 PM
Thank you for replying.

It is a concrete pool. For some reason, the demo co refuses to do a full removal for the price negotiated. Does it require that much more time and effort for a full removal? Doesn’t make sense to me.

It is possible that there will be an add on to the existing house on the area in the future.

Old 04-30-11, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
"For some reason, the demo co refuses to do a full removal for the price negotiated."

I don't understand that..if they bid a full removal..then you get a full removal.

If there will be an addition to the living space...then the whole thing needs to get gone. Or you'll be doing/paying for work twice when the foundation needs to be placed for the addition.