Drylok to seal a retaining wall?

Old 05-11-11, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drylok to seal a retaining wall?

Has anyone used Drylok to seal the back side of a retaining wall? I just built a 2' wall and need to seal it so that I can stucco without it eventually bubbling off. Drylok claims to be good for this purpose, but I've been advised to use a different product (Mulasticoat + Scratch Kote 2000) at 7 times the price! I found most of the comments here about Drylok to be related to basement walls and it seems to be fine for those. If so, wouldn't it also be fine to seal up the back side of a small retaining wall?

I should probably note that my home is in southern California where we don't get much rain. The slope that is being retained is being planted with CA native plants so it won't be flooded with water for irrigation ether. There are surface drains being positioned every ten feet behind the wall, but no perforated drains are being added at the base since the wall is so short.

So what do you guys think? Drylok for $83 or Mulasticoat + Scratch Kote 2000 for $560? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-11, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
It would be best to stucco the backside of the wall and install some drain tile. The stucco will fill any voids that might be too much for whatever coating you use. That said, drylok should do fine on the backside although for some extra insurance you might want to also apply some roller grade tar - it doesn't have to be the expensive stuff.

Old 05-11-11, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm already in the process of putting a coat of stucco on the back side and have drainage going in as well. Looks like I'm on a good track.