Corner of concrete patio slab broken off

Old 05-14-11, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Corner of concrete patio slab broken off

Just curiuos if anyone has any ideas for me.

The fence post is set in the corner of a slab of concrete that meets the foundation of my house.
-The foundation isnt damaged.
-The corner is damaged where the post is set in and there are no cracks leading into the slab from there.

i made a "3d" drawing! ooo fancy:

Not at home right now or id post a real pic. Basically the corner of the slab is busted up up to the hole the post sat in and i was wondering if there was a way to repair the corner of the slab to support a new fence post.

--Since the remaining hole where the post was set isn't very large i was thinking it might need to be opened up more to put more concrete in to set a new post in.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-11, 07:12 PM
So your issue is that you want to replace this fence post and fix the concrete pad around it?

The concrete pad is not supporting the post. The post should be set in its own concrete at the bottom of the hole. To replace this, I would break away the concrete pad enough to pull the old post out and to set a new one. Then repour that corner with new concrete.

Old 05-14-11, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think what drooplug said is your only choice. Cut the concrete like your drawing's dotted lines indicate. Drive some 3" tapcon screws partially into the edges, probably 3 on each edge. These will help keep the repair from falling away. Set your post in concrete below the slab, form the slab and pour the repair and screed it off.

Old 05-16-11, 12:26 PM
Process to cut

Couldn't find any posts about cutting out a section of a slab like this. Any suggestions on best practice vs cheapest?

I wouldnt mind doing it by hand im just afraid ill crack the rest of the slab.

A little late now but: