How to repair leaning reatining wall

Old 05-22-11, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repair leaning reatining wall

Hi I recently bought a new home that has a newer retaining wall in the back yard that is already leaning. It was built using interlocking bricks and apparently has weeping tile installed behind it for drainage. The wall is just over 3' high not including bricks below ground level.

I am prepared to rebuild the wall if necessary, but I need to know what is the proper way of doing so? If I decide to dismantle the entire wall do I need to remove all the soil behind the wall first to ensure that the drainage was actually installed properly?

I really just need to know what the best practices are in the case of rebuilding a leaning retaining wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-11, 11:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Which way is it leaning? It is supposed to lean into the dirt wall. If it is leaning outward, or bulged, it all has to come down and needs rebuilding with a proper footing, not bricks at the bottom. Most likely the bricks are failing at ground level and causing the wall to lean.

Old 05-22-11, 11:31 AM
If you are in the Great White North like in Ontario or similar it sounds like you are seeing movement from water freezing and expanding. That is pretty normal up there, and even with heavy wooden retaining walls using 'deadman ties' they would always lean them into the dirt knowing they would push back over time. The first thing to check is to see exactly what type of interlocking stone wall was used and whether it was even rated to go that high. Many are not and are designed for lower knee wall effects and are simply not heavy enough to hold back that amount of material. This could be your problem. How deep set is the 'big o' perforated drainage pipe also if there is one and where does it drain. My first guess is that they used the wrong product to build the wall especially if done by the homeowner shopping from a big box store.

Old 05-22-11, 01:22 PM
There should also be gravel behind the wall to help drainage as well.