Multiple coats of sealant -- good idea?

Old 05-23-11, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple coats of sealant -- good idea?

We had our outdoor patio acid washed a couple of years back, which was a mistake. We love the way it looks wet (or right after sealing) but it quickly becomes a dust magnet and is difficult to keep clean. We just finished re-sealing (2 coats of Lumiseal Plus sealant). I was thinking that putting a couple of more coats on, that I could prevent the dirt accumulation from occurring. I don't know if that's a good idea and, if so, how long I should wait between applying the coats. I'm worried that if I try to put too many coats on, I'll end up with discoloring and/or inproper curing.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you checked with the manufacturer, or with what is written on the can? More is not always better. Follow completely what they recommend. Sealant over concrete can not be put on or built up too thick or it will trap moisture and you will end up with an unattractive white haze under it all and end up with major chemical removal work ahead. It must breath. Even when applied correctly this can become a problem for many sealants if there is sufficient moisture still in the concrete.