Help with terrible concrete sealer odor

Old 05-23-11, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with terrible concrete sealer odor

I made the mistake of sealing an interior concrete office floor with exterior oil-based concrete sealer and the odor is intolerable. It does not seem to have dissipated in 2 weeks. Any ideas? I'd repaint it with something (it must be clear) to cover it if would help. I'm pretty desperate.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-11, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The odor is from the solvent in the sealer. If it's still there after 2 weeks, you probably applied it much too thickly, or it's puddled down in the joints. If it's applied too thickly, the top skins over but the rest of it is still wet (the solvent can't evaporate as it's supposed to.)
Sealer should be applied as thinly as possible. Thicker is definitely NOT better. If you have fabric or carpet in the area, I'm sure that's holding some of the odor as well. I'd get some dryers and exhaust fans to try to get the odor out of the house, as well as some air-fresheners to mask the smell until it's gone.

Old 05-24-11, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Not sure if this is a home office or a office building but getting some fresh air somehow would be very helpful.

Old 05-24-11, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Odors are particulate and moving air across the floor will speed up the rate of loss of the particles and thus, cause the odor to disappear more quickly