Stone Veneer Repair

Old 05-25-11, 08:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stone Veneer Repair

I had a contractor install a couple of windows and vents in our walkout basement. This required him to remove a section of the faux stone veneer that is applied to the concrete foundation on the lower portion of the house. The contractor has since gone missing, so i'm looking to finish it up myself. It looks like the initial install of the stone was done without wire mesh, and mortared directly to the concreted foundation. When the contractor chipped off the stone the mortar came off attached to the stone in most cases. My question is what is the best way to re-attach around the windows. Should I chip off the mortar and re-mortar, or can I use a masonry adhesive to the back of the mortar and stick it on the foundations? any suggestion would be helpful. From reading up on this it seems the original installer cut a major corner and didn't use a wire mesh against the foundation, but at this point I can't do anything about that.

Old 05-25-11, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,106 Upvotes on 1,885 Posts
There are some very high quality masonry adhesives that could hold the veneer in place. I think the problem with using an adhesive will be the thickness difference between the existing mortar and a bead of caulk. You may have to remove the old mortar and mortar them in place like the existing stone to get the correct build out from the wall.

Don't worry about the lack of wire mesh behind your stone. Mortar to cement is a very common way of attaching veneer stone. After all, mortar is the structural member holding most bricks and cement blocks in place so it's up to the task if done properly.

Old 05-25-11, 02:32 PM
S
Thanks Pilot. I may try the adhesive first and see how it pans out. It's a stacked fieldstone kind of a look so the face is all different levels anyway. I guess I'll try a small area and see how it holds before doing it all. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-25-11, 05:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Just make sure you get a proper masonry adhesive, not just general construction adhesive that says is also bonds masonry. True masonry adhesives are a engineered product often used to hold the stone or concrete veneers on commercial buildings (let's just ignore that panel that fell from the ceiling of the Big Dig tunnel) and are stronger than most traditional mortars.

Old 05-26-11, 09:56 AM
S
I assume this isn't available at your local Home depot.
I'll google around and track it down.
Thanks for the advise.

Old 05-26-11, 05:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
A home improvement store may have it but it's a slim chance. Industrial suppliers should carry it as well as a concrete supply company. I get it from the place where I also buy patio pavers and concrete retaining wall blocks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: