brick veneer over concrete sidewalk

Old 05-27-11, 02:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
brick veneer over concrete sidewalk

Hi, I need to put a brick veneer over a concrete sidewalk, and the result needs to be very robust. My current plan (based on my inadequate knowledge, and some quick internet research) is to attach galvanized mesh to the concrete, using tapcon screws and plastic or SS washers, and then to adhere half-thickness bricks using adhesive mortar.

Considering that the resulting walkway will be subjected to a lot of wear and weather, and some of the panels will not be entirely horizontal, does anyone have any comments on how I might improve my results?

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-11, 11:26 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not sure what advantage you will have with the mesh. I always thought that approach was more suited for wall applications and if you get winter freezing I would wonder if that mesh would help trap water which would expand when frozen and lift things apart.. Would it not be better to etch the concrete with an acid wash, and apply directly onto the concrete by both buttering the veneer and trowelling a base of a motar mix onto the cement. I am no expert on this work and only a DIYer like yourself but I am wondering if using a good sand /portland cement mortor mix also would be more durable than using thinset in an outdoor application also that is exposed to all the elements. In this way the grout material would also be a mortar mix of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: