Chimney & wall sheathing gap

Old 06-01-11, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney & wall sheathing gap

Who ever painted my house last used what looks like window glazing in the gap between chimney bricks and the metal wall sheathing. The glazing is cracking and breaking off. My question is does this gap need to be filled? The gap is only about a 1/4" and it looks like it was intended to be there. The chimney is stable and the gap is consistent top to bottom and on both sides. I live in So-Cal so I'm not concerned about ice or snow building up. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-11, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
I couldn't imagine anyone using glazing to fill a gap like that although it is possible they used a butyl caulk - they tend to dry out and somewhat resemble glazing. How long ago wa this gap filled? Where would rain water go if the gap wasn't sealed?

Could you supply a pic or two?

Old 06-02-11, 11:54 AM
A pic is below. As you can see from the photo the actual gap between the bricks and the sheathing is pretty small. I don't know when it was originally filled, but I've been in the house for 8 years. Wouldn't a thin bead of caulk work instead?

Old 06-02-11, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Normally the flashing doesn't get caulked to the brick but usually it's fairly tight. I'd remove any of the loose filler and then use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk. You can use a clear caulk if you're concerned about the caulking showing.

Old 06-02-11, 10:21 PM
Will Do. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-03-11, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
With a gap that size, you'll want to install some tight fitting foam backer rod into the gap before you caulk.