Some kind of wedge to level retaining wall capstones?

Old 06-19-11, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some kind of wedge to level retaining wall capstones?

Hi,
I've built a small retaining wall, and I'm trying to set the capstones. I'm not a pro, it's a small wall, but once the capstones are in place it should look great. However the bricks are not perfectly level in every direction. There are miniscule variations - I'm talking millimeters at most.

The capstones need to be perfectly level, and this should conceal any of those variations. Question is what can I use to adjust the capstones to get them level before setting them with adhesive? Imagine with wood in a door or something, having small wedges to tweak the position of something. So the same thing for concrete blocks. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-11, 01:33 PM
If you set the capstones with mortar, that will allow you to adjust for the variations while placing them.

As an aside, it is a retaining wall, not a piece of furniture. You seem to be going overboard in the pursuit of perfection if you're niggling over a few millimeters of difference.

Old 06-19-11, 03:53 PM
If this a segmenrtal retaining wall, you should NEVER use mortar or grout, just as you never have a concrete footing.

You can use 4 generous dabs of a silcone adhesive to hold the caps in place. If you are really fussy, you can also put a few grains of sand on top the block (just enough to level it) and then apply the silicone. THis willow the wall to flex as it is intended to.

Dick