How to repoint an old Fieldstone Foundation?

Old 06-19-11, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repoint an old Fieldstone Foundation?

I copied and pasted the image from BigOldXJ above because it looks exactly like some portions of my basement walls.

My name is Rob and I have an old 3 family in Boston, Mass with a huge full basement that has a fieldstone foundation in need of repointing. I can't afford to pay a pro to do it, so I'm on my own. I'm looking for some professional advice from anyone out there who has it? Like I said, the house is huge and old (Apprx. 100 Yrs). I've about S-Type mortar and such but I've never been given the full scoop...

Can Anyone Help Me?
Thanks.........

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-11, 06:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Is there a water or moisture problem? If not, chop out what's loose & fill the gaps with your mix. Go in about 2 inches.

Old 06-20-11, 08:51 AM
You can trowel it in, or use an 'icing bag' approach, filling up the bag with a wet mix and just squeezing it in as needed, and then going back as it sets and smoothing up the joints, and then finally going back after it sets up with a brush to clean off any material left on the stones. As was said below, remove any loose or cracked material before pointing. You can use pre mixed mortor, or mix your own with portland cement and course sand.

Old 06-22-11, 11:50 PM
Hi Pulpo, Thanks for your reply!
No, there isn't a water/flooding problem because the house sits at the top of a hill...However, the front 3rd (Apprx.) of the foundation is underground. It's this area that has the most deterioration! I understand about cleaning out the loose stuff first before re-pointing, but I'm unsure as to which type of mix to use? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that for "Fieldstone" foundations you have to use a special type of sealing mortar because of its damp nature. I just need to know is this true and if so? What type of mix to buy and how to apply?

Thanks....

Old 06-23-11, 06:06 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I would use Portland cement, 3 parts sand to 1 Portland.

Old 06-24-11, 11:24 PM
Hi equinox, Thanks for your reply....
The front 3rd (Apprx.) of the foundation is underground. It's this area that has the most deterioration! I understand about cleaning out the loose stuff first before re-pointing, but I'm unsure as to which type of mix to use? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that for "Fieldstone" foundations you have to use a special type of sealing mortar because of its damp nature. I just need to know, is this true and if so? What type of mix to buy and how to prepare and apply it? Can You help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks....

Old 06-25-11, 07:10 AM
I work full time as a historic restoration mason and I specialize in mortar reproduction. Selecting the correct mortar mix for your wall is of paramount importance. The ides is to MATCH whats there(whatever it is) to avoid any problems down the road.
Your foundation is PROBABLY straight lime mortar, of course without some sort of inspection or analysis i can only guess. If indeed it is a lime mortar you should use the same or at the very most 1 part Portland to 4 parts (hydrated)lime and 8-10 parts sand (a mix of fine and coarse sand with roughly 2 fine to 1 coarse ratio).
I would defiantly err on the side of soft if your not sure, A high Portland mix will expand and contract differently over the years (Less expansion than the old) and potentially cause problems.

Old 06-27-11, 12:12 AM
b
This image is exactly how some interior portions of my fieldstone foundation looks like right now.
Does this image help you at all to further advise me somewhat more confidently? If not I really do understand, and appreciate your efforts!

Thanks Again........

Rob