Sagging Retaining Wall (wood)

Old 06-25-11, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sagging Retaining Wall (wood)

I apologize this is most likely in the wrong section, however it mentioned this section was for retaining walls.

My problem is pretty straight forward. I have a very old retaining wall that is sagging at the top. I am selling my house soon, and the real estate agent said it was something that might be worth fixing. As a side note, I have rennovated my entire house and am comfertable with most forms of construction. Since I am selling my house, I wouldn't be thrilled about rebuilding the whole thing out of a different material.

This picture demonstrates the issue:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/999...3090304070.jpg

as you can see, the bottom white trim where the garage is, that's where I want the retaining wall the whole way. I am going to go ahead and guess that it is out of pitch about 2 inches, maybe a little more. Under normal circumstances I would just rip the wood out, and rebuild with new hardware. However, the nails in this look like freakin railroad ties length!

Any advice on lost cost solutions / approaches?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 02:30 PM
There is little that can be done to save that poorly constructed wall.

If you have the effort and some money, you can tear it out and replace it something a little more artistic. It will be hard word to do some digging and get the old wood out and then figure how and where to get rid of it. Doing it as much as possible is the cheapest way for a DIY to go.

Replace with another wall that does not cry "failure ready to happen!".

More wood is an option. but in your area, there is a real history of problems and most landscape walls are concrete retaining wall units that never need a concrete footing or any mortar or rebar for a wall that height.

Dick

Old 06-25-11, 03:36 PM
If you don't want to spend the money to do it right, then don't do it at all. Just plan on negotiating an amount to take off the price should someone make an issue out of it. Material alone for a concrete block system would probably be at least $1k plus all the hard work. Curb appeal does go a long way in selling a house and that could be a turn off to a lot of buyers.

Old 06-25-11, 03:55 PM
drooplug is right - Curb appeal, especially what a buyer sees closely, will affect the opinion of the maintenance of everything else that may or not be seen by the seller. Much is in the timing.

Either leave it and deal with reactions (if you have a chance to) or do it right with something substantial (and certainly not with plain concrete block) that can cost more. but you do not see on higher quality uses.

Dick