Repair old fieldstone stairs and concrete slabs in walkway

Old 07-02-11, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair old fieldstone stairs and concrete slabs in walkway

My front stairs(I believe theyre fieldstone steps) are coming loose from the old cement. I also have concrete slabs(approx. 2.5 ft by 1 ft.) at the ends of each section of the walkway that are a little loose.

I plan on picking up some quikcrete and cementing around the loose stairs where the old cement has given away. Also I plan on lifting the loose concrete slabs and spreading the some quikcrete down to bond the slab to the bricks underneath.

Am I on the right track here? Do I need to consider cement type products to tighten up these loose sections of the walkway?

All comments appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-11, 07:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't use quickcrete. I would use Portland cement with sand (3 sand to 1 Portland) or type N mortar. Make sure that you remove all that's loose & go down about 2 inches, to give you a good bond.

Old 07-06-11, 04:49 PM
Ok. I didnt mean concrete. I meant mortar. I have an 80lb bag of type S. I wont need this much but I dont have a wheel barrow to mix the cement in. I was planning on using a plastic bucket(looks like a 5 gallon) and mix up enough to fill about 3/4 of the bucket. If I need more Ill make more. So the bag says about 5.5 quarts of water to the 80lb bag. So a 1/4 of the bag = 1/4 of the 5.5 quarts right? No calculator in hand but that looks like about 1-1.4 quarts of water. Sound about right? I hear there are mortar boxes? Why spend the money on the box when I can use a bucket?

Old 07-07-11, 06:28 AM
Temporarily Suspended
A mixing pan would make things a lot easier. I never measure the water, I just add as I need it.