Asphalt as backfill?

Old 07-04-11, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt as backfill?

Greetings all! I would like to get your advice on a new construction project.

I recently had an old garage torn down and I'm having a new one built in its place. The original garage had an asphalt/blacktop floor which was tore up when the garage came down. The new garage is slightly larger than the old one, and as a result, the new foundation cuts into a hillside. Since the foundation was built into a hill, the inside-back corner of the floor needs to be built up so that it will be level with the rest. To build up the corner, it was suggested to use the the old asphalt/blacktop to fill in some of the area and then use gravel for the remaining low spots. When it's all said and done, the entire floor would be leveled and compacted with the gravel before the new floor is poured.

Would it be a good idea to re-use the old asphalt/blacktop as backfill? Is it safe to bury the old aspahlt? i.e. not hazardous to the environment? Or is it too soft and will deteriorate over time? If it's ok to be used, should the asphalt be broken into pieces?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I think the asphalt's already made it's impact on the environment. I think you should be able to use it for fill if it is properly compacted. What you do not want is big pieces jumbled with air pockets between them that would eventually settle.

Old 07-05-11, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
..... and I'd be inclined to use a little more rebar in that section of the slab.

Old 07-05-11, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I checked out the asphalt and saw some medium to large pieces in the pile. I'll definitely be breaking those into smaller pieces before compacting everything down.

Thanks for the replies!