Attaching stone veneer - odd application

Old 07-17-11, 07:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching stone veneer - odd application

I've got an unusual application for stone veneer. I’m big into Halloween and I have a fake fence that I put up around my yard for the majority of the month in October. (PVC pipes to simulate wrought iron… and plywood cubes to simulate stone pillars)
Try as I might, I’ve not been able to get the plywood pillars to seal very well and the paint peels, the wood swells etc. So I’ve decided to try and clad the pillars with stone veneer. I’ll be making my own with veneer molds and some type of lightweight mix. The pillars are hollow, 2x2 frames and 7/16 plywood. I have a few questions:

1) What’s the best way to adhere the veneer to the pillars? Do I need a moisture barrier like 15lb. roofing felt since they are hollow? They sit ¾ the way on the grass in all kinds of weather. Colorado in Oct… it can be 80 and dry, rain, or 2 ft of snow. When I put the stones on I plan on leaving some type of vent hole up high, so that should help vent the interior so there’s less condensation/humidity.

2) If I do need a moisture barrier, I’m assuming some type of lathe attached to it so I can use thin-set and adhere the stones?

3) Can I use mastic to adhere the stones? I’ve seen posts against this, but I have the luxury of laying the pillars down on their sides and not have to worry about gravity pulling them down before they set up. Additionally, I’m also under the understanding that mastic can flex a little bit. This may actually be an advantage in my situation since they are portable and get moved around.

4) If mastic will work, do I need the moisture barrier? Lathe?

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 07-20-11, 03:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anyone? Buller? Buller?

Old 07-20-11, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Do you have a Menard's by you? The reason I ask is they carry some vinyl stone panels that might be a good option for you. Other big box may carry them to but I'm not sure.

Examples: Accents at Menards

Seams to me that making your own stone veneer would be time consuming, quite costly and very heavy in the end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: