Digging walkway through concrete

Old 07-28-11, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digging walkway through concrete

I apologize in advance if this question is very naive and/or vague. But basically what I'd like to do is to dig into the concrete a walkway to the back of the house from a kind of patio area. I'm imagining a few steps going down from street level, down to the basement level, then a kind of corridor going about 12 feet in length to the back of the house. I think it would have to be dug about 5 feet deep from the street level. I don't believe there are any pipes or anything that would be in the way.

Is this kind of project even feasible? I obviously would be hiring a professional to do it, so what kind of ballpark figure am I looking at in terms of time/cost? I understand that any responses may be little better than a wild guess.

Thanks ...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Sorry, I'm not grasping what it is you want to do - are you looking to build a sunken walkway across your yard?

Into what concrete are you digging?

Old 07-28-11, 02:19 PM
I guess sunken walkway is an accurate description. It's not through a yard though, it's just a paved concrete area.

Old 07-28-11, 02:35 PM
Are you digging through a concrete patio, concrete walkway, concrete driveway?

Old 07-28-11, 02:42 PM
It's a concrete driveway. I'd like to dig the (sunken) walkway into it, leading to the back of the house (basement).

Sorry for the confusing question, I am new at this.

Old 07-28-11, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
This sounds horribly complicated and expensive, can you explain more of the 'why' you want to do this?

Old 07-28-11, 03:17 PM
It'd be a walkway that leads under a deck to the back entrance of the house.

Right now because of the added deck, the back entrance is pretty useless because there is not enough clearance under the deck.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to build a walkway under the deck leading to that entrance. The back entrance already has steps coming up from it (but you would bump your head on the bottom of the deck if you tried to walk all the way up them).

I know, it's hard to envision what I am saying. I tried to leave out the details because I knew I couldn't explain them in a non-confusing manner.

Old 07-28-11, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Can you provide some pictures?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-28-11, 04:15 PM
hehe ok, i don't have any photos handy right now, but i drew this pathetic mspaint to try to explain the situation, don't laugh.

Before the deck was built, you just came out the basement door and walked up a few steps to the street level. But after the deck was built, you can't walk up those steps anymore without hitting the bottom of the deck. You can still get to the driveway if you basically crawl out.

What I was wondering if it was possible, and I think I'm hearing it's not, is if a walkway could be built from the basement door running under the deck, then steps up to the area I marked as driveway.

If it's still not clear then it's ok, I'll just give up this dream

Old 07-29-11, 05:46 AM
ANYTHING is possible, but this would be VERY expensive. You'd need to find an excavating contractor willing to work under the deck...probably hand-digging it. Then you'd need retaining walls to hold back the dirt, and a concrete contractor to do the forming and finishing. All this under a deck? If you wanted it done, it should have been done before the deck was built.

Old 07-29-11, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with Pecos - you can do this but it's going to cost a lot.

I'd have a few contractors come out and bid the job so you can get an idea of the cost to decide if you want to proceed with the project.

Old 07-29-11, 04:35 PM
Basically you will need to break up the concrete in the area you want to put this walkway/stairway. You will then need to build a retaining wall to hold back the soil. You will also need to provide a drainage solution at the bottom of the stairs.

Old 07-29-11, 05:31 PM
ok, it sounds like this probably isn't worth doing. Thanks for the replies.

Just out of morbid curiosity though, is anyone willing to put a wild guess ballpark figure on what "very expensive" could be?

thx