Dry Flood Proofing a Home

Old 08-03-11, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dry Flood Proofing a Home

I am hoping that some of you here are familiar with this process. I live in South Central Louisiana and have never had water in my home, but I have come close. So, I am looking at doing some prevention just in case.

Dry Flood Proofing is the process of placing a barrier around ones home that would keep short duration rising flood waters out. The doorways are flanged with an opposing gate with a gasket seal that tightens down. This seems ideal for someone just dealing with the possibility of a few inches to a foot of water rising above slab level.

My problem is that not one contractor so far seems to know anything about this process and what sort of coating would make the best barrier. There is one home in the lowest part of my subdivision that had this done about 10 years ago. The original owner is no longer there and the new owners do not know who had done the original work. It appears that stucco was used on this house. It is about 3 inches thick and gowns up to the second layer of brick. I would think that there are a lot of other options available today, such as from the Ames Co.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-11, 05:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I've done alot of water proofing, which is basically sealing cracks & diverting rain water from the house. Of course, flood water is a different story. In any event, we used a rubber membrane that came on a roll. It did an excellent job of keeping the water from entering. The difference in your situation is that the membrane would be seen since you would be installing it above grade & not below. I imagine you could do something to hide it or make it nice looking.

Old 08-03-11, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your reply. A membrane is actually one of the options in doing this. My understanding is that those that use it then cover it up with something more decorative, or even brick. However, that all seems to be a lot of unnecessary work. I am looking more into a good, possibly rubberized coating that would be fairly simple to apply. I just don't have a clue on what type, or if that is even the right direction to head in.

Old 08-03-11, 06:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Apply a coating with a trowel is more work than applying that membrane. It's more time consuming. The membrane is at least a 1/2 inch thick while some coating is far less.

Old 08-03-11, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Apply a coating with a trowel is more work than applying that membrane. It's more time consuming. The membrane is at least a 1/2 inch thick while some coating is far less.
How do you attach that membrane to the base of a wall where it forms a seal preventing water to weep up between it and that wall?

Old 08-03-11, 07:14 PM
The top would also need to be sealed against the brick to prevent wind driven rain from running down the brick and getting trapped between the brick and membrane, then getting into the house.

A coating of some sort takes care of those issues.

Old 08-03-11, 08:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The membrane comes with glue that looks like milk. We called it la leche. That's for most of the membrane. We would use roofing cement on the edges or seams.