Tree limb raising driveway

Old 08-05-11, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tree limb raising driveway

We have a tree root that has been pushing up one section of our driveway for awhile. The difference between the two sections is now about 1-2 inches. It is right at the division, so there is no cracking, just a 1-2 inch drop off. I'm thinking we should cut the root on the tree side of the driveway and then have the lower section raised. My husband thinks we need to tear up that section of driveway, dig up the root and re-pour the driveway, which sounds much more expensive. Your thoughts? thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-11, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
I would rather see the driveway go down, not raise the other side up. Raising it up will still leave a hump in the driveway and you want the drive to be flat. Maybe cut off the root and either let it rot or try to pull it out sideways.

Old 08-06-11, 03:43 AM
Do it the way your husband says. If you cut the root it will eventually rot out and the high side will sink into the void. If you had lifted the low side to match the high side, it would then be higher.

Old 08-06-11, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Basically, the tree has to go. If you cut the root, and it is a main feeder root, it will die and fall on your house or car It is a difficult decision, but if you decide to remove the tree, remove the concrete, dig up the root, fill in the void with a good tamping and gravel base and repour.

Old 08-06-11, 06:46 AM
It depends on the type of tree too. Whenever I was faced with cutting roots to pour a driveway, I called a tree expert and asked his opinion. Based on the type of tree, a lot of the roots near the surface are stabilizer roots. Cutting them won't kill the tree, but the reduced anchoring capability could make it topple in a high wind.

Old 08-06-11, 08:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
But, like you, the root, once cut will need to go, as well as the slab, restructuring and repour, correct??

Old 08-06-11, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
"Eventually rot out" could be years down the road. Depends on what the weather and soil conditions are like. Up here it could be 5 yrs or more....esp since we don't have termite issues in my area.

If the root could be followed, perhaps a relatively small section could be sawed out and replaced after root removal and fill is added?

Old 08-06-11, 07:23 PM
It's a pine tree, and I don't think it would fall with that one root gone. The edge of the driveway is at least 10-15 feet from the base of the tree. We cut down the other 2 pines we had, and this one may go soon as well. I am thinking that tearing up the concrete is not a DIY, is it? How would you accompish that? Could you 'cut' a section of the concrete out, so we don't have to repour such a big area? If so what kind of saw would you use for that? My husband did tear up the walkway to our house before we did pavers, but he was younger then.

Old 08-07-11, 05:29 AM
It can be hard work. You can rent a gas powered saw that has a diamond blade to cut the concrete. It should have an attachment for a hose to you don't have to breathe in the dust.

Old 08-07-11, 07:10 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Pine is a very soft wood and your wait time might be more reasonable. Given the complexity of the job of cutting the concrete and repair, I would cut the root asap and wait for your rainy season. Just checked your location and lord knows when that will be .

But, when the ground is soft, chances are good that root will start to go down, especially once it is cut from the tree side support. Between sinking and rotting, the situation can only improve over time and you can always take the more drastic step and tear into that concrete if progress is too slow.

One more, if you excavated a hole beside the driveway where that root goes under, you could attach a pipe or other invention to a hose and hydraulically remove some soil or soften what is there. I have attached a length of 1/2" copper to my hose with duct tape and slowly pushed it 6' under a sidewalk to run a pipe for a sprinkler. A bit wet and messy, but a good chance you could make some progress. Just don't take too much out as it is much harder to put back.

A section of old carpet to protect the concrete and a walk around compactor could also help.

Bud