Hydraulic cement not drying right

Old 08-12-11, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hydraulic cement not drying right

I have some blocks that need some mortar repair. I figured since this whole process is to prevent water from coming in, I would use hydraulic cement.
I found that the stuff hardens almost before you can finish mixing it. I added more water thinking that would help keep it from drying so fast. I just wanted to go over the face of the mortar. These aren't gaping holes, the old mortar is breaking down in spots. I could use mortar cement, but that has to cure 6 months before it can be sealed. I don't have that kind of time. As soon as the rainy season starts, so will the water. (Remember, I'm using Thoroseal as a sealer)
Anyway, I went down this morning and the work I did yesterday is just a powdery as the old mortar I took out. How do I mix this hydraulic cement so that it won't dry faster than I can spread it? I'm not trying to do big areas at a time, just a foot or two at a time.

Old 08-12-11, 10:59 AM
Hydraulic cement is intended to be mixed in very small batches (a pound or so at the very most) and it must be relatively dry because it is forced into a relatively deep narrow roughened crack. It is not intended to be "spread" and it needs to be confined to create the chemical and physical interlock. Misting the crack or joint will help with packing it into the crack or joint.

It sounds like the hydraulic cement was just on the surface and not confined and dried out.

Who ever said conventional mortar had to wait 6 months before "sealing"?

Dick

Old 08-12-11, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the hydraulic cement.
Probably read it the same place that I read that hydraulic cement could be used on the surface versus filing cracks.

So, how long do I have to wait for normal mortar cement to cure before I can seal it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: