How to approach this step?

Old 08-13-11, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to approach this step?

This is the step up into a cold room under our front porch. I'm redoing the basement completely and I want to fix this up properly.

A small trench has been cut around the basement slab for water drainage, I think (wasn't my doing), you can't really see it here because it's filled with crud, which I will be cleaning out before I do anything else.

So anyway I was thinking about building a form to extend the floor of the cold room (the top part of the picture) out to make a step down to the main basement floor, and putting the form over the trough to keep concrete from falling into it.

My question is - after I clean the trough, build the form, and pour the concrete to make the step, how long should I wait to remove the form, and do I need to remove the piece protecting the trough? Could I use a piece of sturdy plastic over the trough instead of wood, and just leave it there when I remove the sides of the new step?

Old 08-17-11, 06:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What's the height difference between the two floors?

Old 08-18-11, 05:38 AM

Don't have exact height but... 12-16" perhaps...

Old 08-18-11, 06:55 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Steps have you be calculated more precisely than that. Extend a level from the upper floor over the lower floor & measure the height. In your case, you can split the difference as long as it isn't any higher than 16". You don't want a step bigger than 8". Let's say that it's 14 inches. The step can be 7 inches. Frame accordingly.

Old 08-18-11, 07:34 AM
That really has nothing to do with my question.

Old 08-18-11, 02:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, maybe someone else can help you.
Bye.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: