Saw cutting contraction joints in sidewalk

Old 08-21-11, 07:39 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw cutting contraction joints in sidewalk

I poured my sidewalk yesterday. When is the best and safest (to prevent chipping) time to sawcut my contractionjoinnst and what is teh recommedned depthof teh cut? I assumed after I remove the forms 3 days from yesterday, but was not sure. Thanks

Old 08-21-11, 08:37 PM
Cut as soon as you can walk on the finished slab without damage (8 to 24 hours) with a soft cut blade. Waiting can cause problems and cracks.

The suggested depth is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the thickness.

Dick

Old 08-21-11, 08:39 PM
K
What is a soft cut blade?

Old 08-21-11, 09:17 PM
That is a specialized blade for cutting "green concrete".

In your case, cut as soon as possible because there could also be some unseen shrinkage cracks by now, but future cracks can be minimized with a quick saw cut. Any concrete that is poured wet or sloppy will be more likely to crack.

The forms could have been removed the day following the pour.

Dick

Old 08-22-11, 03:32 AM
P
As Dick said, cut as soon as possible. Cut the walk into squares. That is, if it's a 4 foot wide walk, cut them every 4 feet. Too wide a span between joints will also lead to random cracking.
The best tool to use is a gas powered concrete saw equipped with a diamond tipped blade. It will saw like butter. If you use an electric saw with a fiber/carborundum blade, you'll be there for hours. Wear a dust mask and eye protection!

Old 08-22-11, 06:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I'd second the renting of a gas saw! I've seen some use a 2x to help them cut a straight line. While I've never saw cut any concrete I've been on a lot of jobs where it was being done. I wouldn't want the amount of concrete dust that is generated clogging up my skil saw

Old 08-23-11, 04:16 AM
P
It's not just the dust or the wear on your circular saw, it's the time, materials, and joint effectiveness involved.
You'd go through a few fiber blades, and they would keep wearing down so the later joints would end up being too shallow to be effective. Also, since electric saws spin backwards, they're more likely to kick back. Gas powered saws pull the blade along instead of pushing it back at you.

Old 08-23-11, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I've had problems result from cutting TOO deep on sidewalks with no reinforcement (slabs cracking clean through and heaving or settling). So I'd lean towards a maximum cut of 1/4 depth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: