Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

asphalt driveway butts to foundation, can't dig, how to stop found, from leaking

asphalt driveway butts to foundation, can't dig, how to stop found, from leaking

Old 09-05-11, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My driveway butts up against the foundation and my cellar leaks along that wall. There is a gap between the asphalt and the foundation and I think rain is getting in there and running down the wall on the outside and leaking in the cellar. What can I put in the gap to stop the rain from getting in there?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-11, 06:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your very best effort will be in removing that portion of the driveway and waterproofing the foundation from the outside. Driveways can always be repoured, but you won't be able to waterproof the cellar unless you gain access to it.

Old 09-06-11, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
You can caulk the crack..... but anytime there is a void in the caulking, the leak will return - if that's what is causing it.

Old 09-08-11, 07:31 AM
See my answer to Thread: water seeping into lower level of a bi level house

See my answer to Thread: water seeping into lower level of a bi level house. Your problem is a little more difficult because you will have to remove about 2 feet of the asphalt away from the wall so that the black foundation sealer can be applied. Also see if a contractor can use a pressure sprayer to get between the asphalt and the wall to apply the foundation sealer.

Old 09-08-11, 03:24 PM
It sounds like your drive has settled over time and the grade has now changed allowing water to flow back into the foundation. If this is your issue you could try to build up the asphalt both by making a v shaped burm using 'cold patch' asphalt repair material where the drive meets the wall, as well as building up the existing adjacent surface area to create a flow away from the foundation wall. If you are not worried about the cosmetics, I would try that first, otherwise you are into digging it all out and anyway regrading the drive and resurfacing it with new asphalt material. Asphalt sealer is not a permanent solution as was said, and taking a preventative approach could be the cheapest and fastest solution, at least as a first step. If you did end up digging it all out, I would suggest applying a membrane as well verses the 'old school' approach of only applying a spray on material that over time will crack and leak.