Creating Flagstone walkway over brick pavers

Old 09-16-11, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Creating Flagstone walkway over brick pavers

Currently I have a brick paver walkway (laid in compressed sand )that has served well for at least 12 years. However, as one might guess, it gets VERY slippery when wet from rain... I want to place mortared flagstone over these bricks using them as a "base" and at the same time raising the overall height of the walkway (it has settled some over the years).
I have laid flagstone over a prepared concrete base before, but am not sure the "proper" way to accomplish what I am proposing. Obviously my main concern is cracking...
It would be very difficult to take up all the bricks and pour a concrete base at this particular location which is why I am looking to complete the project in this manner.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-11, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Are you in an area with freezing temps or frost in the ground during the winter?

Old 09-18-11, 12:56 PM
I live in North Carolina, but it does freeze here... It is NOT a deep frost as I grew up with in Ohio, but it's not California either...
I hope someone has done a project like this and can offer suggestions. Wondering if wire between the two materials would help, or even a membrane of sorts? I don't want to begin until I'm reasonably sure of success... Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 09-18-11, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not a pro on this in any way, but I don't like the idea of laying flagstone over pavers. I feel the pavers will move around and crack the stone and grout. Hopefully somebody else with better background will stop by.

Old 09-19-11, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
I'm with Tolyn, the pavers don't seem like a good base for concrete to me - I think I'd take all of that up and fill with compactible base material to get the height you need.

Old 09-19-11, 08:42 AM
Thanks Mitch, however NOT having to remove all the paving bricks is what I am trying to avoid... I am thinking of etching the bricks with muriatic acid, powerwash, and the use of a "bonding" agent. Also I was considering taking out a few bricks randomly to allow my base cement mortar mixture to fill those gaps for additional strength.
Again, I don't really want to begin if all this work is going to crumble to pieces in a few years. I'll look forward to someone who has done something like this, or (failed) at it and tell me what NOT to do.

Old 09-19-11, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
No, what you're tying to avoid is having this fail. That said, you're trying to do it in the least labor-intensive way. Sorry, I haven't done this and can offer no information on putting concrete over pavers as I wouldn't attempt to do that in the first place.

The bonding agent and removal of a few bricks will have no impact for you, our qualms are due to the pavers not being a stable base.

Crumble to pieces in a few years? Probably not. Crack siginificantly? That's my fear and then the cracks allow moisture to infiltrate and speed up the deterioration.

Old 09-28-11, 08:41 PM
O.K. I'm crying "uncle". You guys have convinced me that this is NOT going to work! I have begun to repair the (brick) walkway to fix any uneven spots. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-29-11, 01:55 PM
If the existing brick pavers are in the ground solid and haven't been moving around on you now there is no reason to assume they will if you put a mortar base and flagstone on them. Will it crack?? A concrete base 6 inches thick can crack.
I would put down 2 inches of mortar and flagstone on top of that. Good luck.

Old 10-11-11, 10:23 AM
Arrow

Thanks Jckrete, I have almost finished re-leveling my existing pavers, and replacing broken ones. Do you have any suggestions for deep cleaning the whole surface? I have used a stiff brush and wire brush to clean them before re-laying, but the dirt, and grime has been building for years...
I would like to possibly put a (sealer) or some (sharks teeth grit) on them to keep them from getting so slippery after a rain.
That was my reason for wanting to top them with (flagstone) in the first place...
One suggestion to clean them from a stone mason; was to spray a mixture of bleach, TSP,and dish detergent, on them let it set and hose it all off. Well I think the grime just laughed at my feeble attempt.

Old 10-11-11, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Rent a gas pressure washer. BE very careful around other objects is they can strip paint and gouge wood.

Old 10-11-11, 08:11 PM
Sorry for chiming in so late, but had I been in your position, I would have simply placed a thin (3/4"+/-) layer of coarse sand over the pavers, set my flagstone on that (wiggling and pressing each piece in), and then swept more sand on to set the flagstones. Gentle water-flooding will help set the stones. Not using mortar would keep things flexible, and any water seeping through the joints will continue on down between the pavers and the sand bed below them. Redwood or plastic bender board, staked at 2' intervals, could be used for borders, to keep the flagstones from shifting outward.

I built one flagstone mortared walkway a few years ago, and didn't care for the frequent mortar "touch-ups" required in subsequent years.