Sealed new pool deck, rained an hour later.. HELP please

Old 09-21-11, 11:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealed new pool deck, rained an hour later.. HELP please

Hello all,

I have a new (35 days) pool and concrete. I had it stamped and my wife and I acid stained it this weekend. We had never done that before, and I wouldnt recommend 1700 sq ft around a pool being someones first job, wow.

Anyway, I washed it good and sealed it with SpecChem Surface Shine sealer. Its a solvent based acrylic sealer. There are several things that went wrong.

1) I washed the concrete the afternoon before, and sealed that morning. Less than 12 hours. I know (now) that was not a good idea.

2) I had never sealed before, and used a 1/2" nap roller. I agressively worked it in the grooves to ensure everything was sealed, so I think I overdid it, alot.

3) It rained an hour later. Less than an hour for some of the project, more than an hour later for some of it.

So, basically I have a bunch of it that has "blisters" or rain spots, not sure what they are really. It hasnt really dried out enough for it turn white yet, figure they may. Also have plenty of roller marks to address.

I used (1) 5 gallon pail for the job, so I dont think I have WAY to much applied, and the manufacturer said that it was not overdone using that amount on 1600-1700 ft of textured surface.

Last night I poured a cap full of xylene in one of the bad "water spot" looking areas and smeared it around with a towel. After it dried it appears to have cleared up that test spot and it looks normal now. I just dont know if I should use my sprayer (when it comes in) to spray xylene all over the deck, or do something different. I was told by the sealer company to roll/spray on xylene and let it re-emulsify and dry, then spray a new thin coat over it once it has correct appearance.

I just ordered a chapin 19049 sprayer (which was also recommended by sealer company) and it has the extreme viton seals to withstand solvents. I plan to spray another THIN coat on once I get the problems addressed.

To add to the difficulty, I want to add some shark grip to it as well. I have read (and was told by chapin and by H&C) that if proper amounts are mixed, and mixed well, it will spray fine.

Here are a couple of pics, please help me out and let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks!

BEFORE Sealer

AFTER Sealer and Rain

Old 09-21-11, 03:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would rent a gas powered pressure washer & remove all the sealer. If you want to seal it again, wait until a few days pass with some strong sunshine. Personally, I wouldn't seal it again.

Old 09-21-11, 04:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd be more concerned about any moisture that was still in the concrete than the rain that fell on it after the sealer was applied. The water on top of the sealer just causes cosmetic damage to the finish. Wiping the affected areas with xylene should correct the water spots. Depending on how much sealer is softened up and removed will determine if it needs to be recoated.

Old 09-22-11, 07:44 AM
C
Unhappy

Well I did a few tests with xylene yesterday. First I rolled on a thin coat on a problem area with roller marks and water spots. The results were nill, it really did nothing.

I then paint brushed some on a few spots and rubbed with a rag. This seemed to remove some of the splotchy spots, but didnt really help much with the roller marks.

So from reading online, sounds like my next trial will be a "xylene scrub" taking a stiff acid brush and dipping in xylene and scrubbing the area around.

I am wondering if this will (or can) cause any problems with the acid stain in the concrete below the sealer? I dont want to take one step forward and 2 back and mess up the stain somehow.

Here are some pics I took last night, the above ones were when the concrete was still wet from the rain. Its dried out now.

Old 09-22-11, 01:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You're wasting your time. Pressure wash it with gas powered pressure washer. Then decide if you want to seal it again or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: