New cement on top of 8 y.o. cement driveway?

Old 09-21-11, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New cement on top of 8 y.o. cement driveway?

My 8 y.o. cement drive does not slope away from house foundation as it should. This was evident fairly soon after it was done. No joy trying to get satisfaction from contractor at that time.

Lately I've seen somewhere a bonding material that supposedly allows pouring of new cement over old to correct slope problems, etc. Anybody know what it is or tried it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I'm not envisioning how this would work - is there a big step up from the driveway into the garage that would give you room to add more concrete?

Old 10-07-11, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you're considering is called a "thin-bonded concrete overlay." I've been involved with same (off-and-on) for more than 40 years, using the process to extend the life of hundreds of DOT bridge decks in several states. Done properly, it works quite well, but done poorly, you won't be happy. Oh, and just to clarify a few terms--cement is a gray powder that comes in bags or bulk, and is one of the ingredients of your concrete driveway. You do not have a cement driveway.

The best bonding agent I've used is a very simple slurry of Portland cement and water, mixed to the consistency of heavy cream and vigorously broomed onto the dampened existing concrete immediately before applying the overlay concrete. It's important that the new concrete use the correct coarse aggregate, and have the right cement content. You may have to either completely remove or at least chip off or grind down a length of existing concrete in front of your garage entrance, such that the new overlay is a good match grade-wise with the garage floor. Control joint placement in the overlay is critical, as is using expansion felt adjacent to any other concrete members or foundations.

Most residential concrete contractors aren't familiar with bonded overlays, so plan on doing some educating to get what you want. If it were my project, I would write a simple set of parameters that the work will conform to, such that there are no surprises as the job progresses, and the finished product is one you will be happy with.