gap between driveway and garage

Old 10-10-11, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gap between driveway and garage

I'm about to reseal my asphalt driveway- when cleaning- i notice about one inch gap where the driveway meets the garage- (garage floor is concrete)- a lot of debris gets caught in there as well as water. Should I fill that gap with something? Stone? Whatever I use will butt up against asphalt on one side and cement on the other. Or do I just leave the gap there? was just concerned about water working it's way in

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
1" seems to be a rather large crack. Is it on the driveway side or the garage side? It may be a little expensive, but I would use a Butyl Rubber caulk in the crack after installing a piece of 3/4" backer rod. The butyl rubber will give and take with the weather and provide a good seal between the two surfaces.

Old 10-11-11, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Chandler, except I'd use a larger backer rod. If your gap is 1" wide, a 1-1/4" backer rod would work best. You'll waste a lot of butyl if the stuff sinks down along the sides of a backer that's too small. And make sure the surfaces you're putting the butyl against are squeaky-clean ("clean enough to kiss," is the term we used in the industry). Vigorous wire-brushing should work, followed by blowing out with compressed air.