brick chimney repair options

Old 10-15-11, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question brick chimney repair options

My chimney is about 40 years old and there is water leaking into my house. A chimney repair guy said that the brick is "old brick" and that the brick is checking and mortar is degrading and that a completely new chimney must be installed. At $8,000.00, I am wondering if one option would be to have a carpenter build a decorative wood casing around the chimney to prevent further degradation, and have the top of the chimney flashed over the wood so that the existing old brick and mortar are no longer exposed to rain and snow. Is this possible, safe and reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-11, 12:15 PM
The wood option would work just fine--that is, until someone gets a good, hot fire going and burns the place down. And getting a building permit for surrounding a chimney with combustibles is also not likely to happen.

Old 10-16-11, 01:20 PM
If you want to go that route, you could probably tear the existing down and then erect a wooden facade with a proper metal chimney inside. If the outside of your chimney is that bad, then the liner is probably in poor shape as well.