Freestanding privacy garden wall...type of footing

Old 10-17-11, 08:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Freestanding privacy garden wall...type of footing

Hi-
we want to build a freestanding privacy wall to screen our hot tub /patio from our neighbor's view.
the wall will be approximately 64" tall, 16 feet long. It will not be
near property line.
we will be using the 12x12x4 decorative "pierced" flower blocks,
and plan on 8x8x8 blocks for piers on both ends, and one in the middle. It would look a bit like the photo, but our decorative blocks
would start just above grade.
would a floating slab, with rebar, be acceptable in Minneapolis, Minnesota? Or would we need a poured footing 42" deep for the full length of the wall? Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-17-11, 08:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,261 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Your photo didn't make it - try this: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

That said, you're describing a pretty big wall just to obscure something visually - have you thought about a fence instead?

Old 10-17-11, 08:57 AM
B
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to try to load an image later, when I'm home from work.

We currently have 2 cedar fence sections, connected to 3 posts, with lattice on top. It works, but we really like the retro look of the patterned concrete blocks. we got enough of them for free off Craigslist!

Old 10-17-11, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If your reinforced slab on grade is stout enough (meaning it won't frost heave and then settle, differentially), and is placed on a well-drained compacted gravel base, there's a chance it will work. However, expecting the mortar joints between blocks to perform, if and when excess slab movement happens, may not be realistic. There's a good chance mortar joints will start to crack, and break loose from the decorative blocks.

I think a better approach would be to incorporate the freebie blocks into a cedar or preservative-treated fence. You could get quite creative, and support each block on a horizontal run of wood, retained with smaller filler strips front and back, and alternate the blocks in a random pattern with varying verticals and post heights (and possibly some small, vertical wood panels) to provide interest.

If you do decide to go with all mortared block, I think the footing needs to be at least 72" deep. I lived in your neighboring state (Wisconsin) for many years, and 6' deep footings were a pretty universal requirement.

Old 10-18-11, 10:45 PM
B
Thumbs up

Thank you.

I've had a few masons out to give me bids. One thought a reinforced slab would work. Others said the full frost footing. One said frost footing under the 3 piers would be good. One suggested that instead of mortar betwwen the decorative blocks, i could just use landscape adhesive.

I'll have to think about your suggestions,Bridgeman45.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: