Brick grinding dangers?

Old 11-04-11, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Brick grinding dangers?

When grinding a hole through exterior brick (to install a new dryer
vent) do we need to be concerned with asbestos? My bricks were laid around 1989 or 90 and look like brick veneer. Do or did bricks ever
contain asbestos? I know they contain silica but not enough to cause concerns. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-11, 07:02 AM
I have never heard of bricks containing asbestos, but some mortar was made with an asbestos component. I think that was stopped in the early 80's.

Old 11-04-11, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately I think many asbestos containing items that were made before the bans
were still in sellers inventory and legally sold until the supply was exhausted. Have any brick/mortar workers run into any asbestos as late as 1989?

Old 11-04-11, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
You have two threads going on your concerns over asbestos in a house built after it was no longer allowed. You're not going to get a definitive answer here, have someone come out to your house and test for it.

Old 11-04-11, 08:13 AM
OK....I understand your reasoning and will apply it to any future posts

Old 11-04-11, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Carroll12 View Post
. . . . Have any brick/mortar workers run into any asbestos as late as 1989?
My guess would be that none were aware of it had it been present. Never met a masonry worker who carried an asbestos test kit with him.

Old 11-05-11, 12:39 PM
And if it ever contain it exposure would only take place if it were
grinder or cut for edges. Not when simply laying the brick.

Old 11-05-11, 01:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sometimes I hate being a mod but because I am I will delete my own answer to this before I even write it.

Old 11-05-11, 01:40 PM
It is quite simple - Just look at The raw materials in a clay brick.

Obviously, taking the normal precautions (cheap dust face mask)to protect yourself from fines that can cause other minor problems and more importantly, feel better immediately after you are done.

Dust can naturally be troublesome. I moved into a new apartment before the furniture arrived and slept on the new carpet with dust and trimmings in it and ended up with a short trip to the ER from bronchial problems and was out in an hour. Unfortunately, my goods had not arrived and I did not have my "puffer" that I only use after being around good, clean, natural and green horses.

Dick

Old 11-05-11, 03:24 PM
What's the difference between clay brick ingredients and brick veneer
or are they the same thing?

Old 11-05-11, 05:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Same brick, different application. A real brick wall has two thicknesses of brick and the brick often supports the roof. Often interior plaster was applied directly to the brick.

Modern homes have a 2X4 or 2X6 load bearing frame and the veneer is just a single thickness of brick that is non structural.

The brick in both cases though is usually the same.

Old 11-05-11, 05:19 PM
Clay brick CAN be used as a thin veneer. I think your concept of brick veneer may not be correct and you may be thinking of the thin "stick-on" brick shapes that can be real brick that is pre-cut from real brick meeting ASTM specifications before selling or is could be anything that is molded into a thin shape. Unfortunately, most people do not recognized the the term veneer is really determined by the way it is used. - Most are agitated "green" people. There is now a specification for the use of the thin veneers that is classified as "adhered veneer.

Real clay brick is made from mixing, adding water and extruding acceptable clay before firing at over 2300F.

Grinding a few little hole in a wall makes no difference, especially if you get coffee, food and snacks from a coffee shop or convenience store.

Your ancestors probably lived for generations in homes in Europe and the U.S. since it is a well-documented process and history.

Dick