Covering exterior concrete block wall

Old 11-05-11, 08:35 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering exterior concrete block wall

My home is less than 10 yrs old and we came to find that the builder used sub-par concrete blocks for the outdoor block wall. Moisture was causing the bottom blocks to disintegrate. I recently had a contractor cover it, but it definitely looks patched and can't match the paint color very well. I want to paint the entire wall, but it will still show the patch job. I want to add texture, without having to stucco. I've read about adding sand to paint. Can this be done with exterior paint. Or, does anyone have any other ideas as to how to cover the patch work. Thanks!

Old 11-06-11, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 822 Upvotes on 721 Posts
Could you provide a pic or two? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Without knowing how the patch differs from the rest of the wall it would be hard to say how to make it blend in. It's doubtful using a sand texture additive to the paint will hide the repairs. There are some exterior texture paints that might work but again the difference between the repair and original would need to be minor.

Old 11-06-11, 08:50 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
picture of concrete

[IMG]111106_001.jpg[/IMG]

111106_001.jpg

Hi...excuse all the links...wasn't sure if any would work...so, hoping at least 1 will. I hope it can be enlarged, because a small pic doesn't do it justice. I could be over thinking things, maybe it's just that the paint touch-up on the repair areas is bad. Maybe I should just paint the entire wall and be done with it?
Thanks! Let me know if you can't open any of links...I'll try something else.

Old 11-06-11, 11:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 822 Upvotes on 721 Posts
Going by the pic I don't see any major difference - is there a texture difference you can feel?

If it was mine, I'd caulk the missing mortar joints and apply a fresh coat of paint, maybe even an elastromeric paint. Elastromeric paints don't go as far but do a decent job of waterproofing the masonry and go a long way towards disguising minor imperfections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: