Thoroseal on patio wall for appearance

Old 11-08-11, 02:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thoroseal on patio wall for appearance

I have a 2-year old Ivany block patio wall that Im looking to improve the appearance of. It was finished on both sides with a double parge coat that never dried right or looked good joint lines telescoped through, efflorescent stains in areas, and the color was wet looking, inconsistent, and botchy. That said, the wall and the coating are solid. Even in bad looking areas the parge doesnt want to separate.

I was hoping Thoroseal would fix the appearance. I put on 1 coat this weekend. Weather was nice, around 60ish, but the nights are damp in the low 40s. Its been a few days but I dont think it looks much better. It says to wait a week before the next coatany thoughts as to whether that will make it uniform or do I need to try something else? Im not sure I have the talent to do the thick trowel-on coat. Links w/ pics below.

The block is filled solid w/ concrete+rebar. Its not leaking or even weeping water. One section retains soil, but that looks no different than the areas that are in full sun totally above ground. The retaining section has a French drain and (I believe) a waterproofer of some sort on the back.

One thing I can spot is the mortar joints on the flagstone cap that are cracking. A different mason did those and could have done a better job. I assume he should have used a poly sealant or something. Whats the best way to fix those? One pic is attached. Id also like to reseal underneath where the cap meets the wall. There is maybe 1/16 crack in the mortar joint. Not sure what the best thing is to use, and Ive never had great luck with silicone caulk on masonry.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thoroseal coat Pic#1
Thoroseal coat Pic#2, mostly in the sun
Mortar joint along flagstone cap, separated on one side

Old 11-08-11, 07:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think the wall looks that bad, at all. If you want to do anything with the mortar joint, you would have to use an angle grinder to cut into it about an inch & 1/2 deep & add mortar. I would mix a bonding agent with it.

Old 11-09-11, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've been around a lot of Thoroseal over the years (as a specifier, and field inspector on DOT jobs), and don't ever recall seeing what your pix are showing. However, we rarely used dark colors such as yours, but rather off-whites and beiges. Better results were obtained when Acryl 60 was used as a modifier/bonding agent, rather than just potable water in the mix.

If I were you, I'd give Thoro's technical support people a call. Their 800 number should be on the container, and if you can't find a number, I think they're now owned by either Watson-Bowman or BASF.

Old 11-09-11, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The intial construction/design of the wall was wrong or improperly done.

The cap should have a slight slope toward either the front of back to help shed water. The should also have been sized with a slight overhang and a "drip" line cut in the bottom to insure that the water drips off instead of running down the wall face where it can be absorbed. Not much different from a classic detail used on chimney caps.

The surface still looks pretty good and will last a long time.

Dick

Old 11-10-11, 12:17 PM
J
Update from Thoro...

Called Thoro Products and they said it's not uncommon to have joint read-through after the first coat and the second coat should hide better. However, if the wall wasn't uniformly wet or drying at the same rate there will be variation in color. I'll try the second coat this weekend and see what happens. They suggested ThoroCOAT or ThoroSHEEN if that doesn't work, but I'm really hoping to avoid paint.

Good point about the drip edge. The cap has a 1" overhang but it's level. My plan is to seal the cracked mortar joint between the cap and the wall, then I'll probably run some 3/8" rope caulk under the overhang so water doesn't wrap back so easily. I don't think I could notch out the stone at this point.

I'll post some pics next week from the second coat. Fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: