Driveway Seal Coating

Old 12-04-11, 02:27 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Driveway Seal Coating

I need to get my driveway seal coated before temps drop below freezing (another week or so). Is it too late in the year to do so? Will I be able to find a contractor that will do the work off season? There are several cracks throughout the driveway and I'd like to get it sealed before it gets worse from freezing precipitation, etc.

Old 12-05-11, 02:48 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Assuming asphalt driveway? I've heard some people call sealing concrete "sealcoating" it too. If concrete, you could still do it this year providing temps are around 40F or so.

Old 12-05-11, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
If it's an asphalt driveway it can still be sealed BUT cool temps will lengthen the drying time and you don't want any frost on it until after it has dried.

Old 12-05-11, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Please get a reputable seal coating person !! Around here there was a guy who would pull up to your house, and say he had enough seal coating left over from another job to do your driveway for a good price. It turns out to be just liquid tar that never sets up and come summer, it will all be at the base of your driveway. One of my customers unsuspectingly had contracted with him to have it done while I was working on his house. I got to him first, as his reputation preceded him, and told him under no uncertain terms was he to touch the driveway, and he should get on GA 76 which runs east and west and keep going. My crew had my back, so I could act tough.

Old 12-05-11, 02:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We often have those types of scams in the spring but it is always a group of guys with out of state tags. The local guys are usually a lot better but as when hiring any contractor - it's best to check references.

Asphalt sealer should never be just sprayed on it. It needs to be worked into the pavement to get a long lasting job. It's ok if they spray as long as they go behind the spray with a roller or squeegee.

Old 12-05-11, 04:02 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a bit off topic, but did you guys hear about that tanker on the PA Turnpike that had a leak? It dumped driveway sealer on about 30 miles of the highway. It disabled over 100 cars that drove through it. All this on the night before Thanksgiving.

Old 12-06-11, 12:28 PM
M
Yes, it's an asphalt driveway and I know better than to hire someone going door to door with "leftover supplies". I may do it myself as I have in the past depending on the price. Driveway is about 400 sq ft. so I'm expecting to pay $200 or so. Does that sound about right? My main question was if it's too late in the season--sounds like I'll be ok if it is applied early morning and have a day to dry before temps drop in the evening. Is this accurate?

Old 12-06-11, 12:56 PM
M
Got one estimate for $250. Includes any prep work (sealing minor cracks, etc.) and a sand-based seal coat. Basically what the contractor said was that they add sand to the seal coat to fill in any minor cracks and crevices and also to provide a slip-free surface. He also said they could add a drying agent to the seal coat to accelerate the drying time. Does this sound legit?

Old 12-06-11, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I very seldom seal driveways although I used to have a neighbor that was in that business. I've never heard of adding sand to mix. My neighbor always addressed the cracks prior to applying the sealer. You can add a drier to paint to help it dry quicker so doing so to driveway sealer sounds plausible.

I would assume that sealer is somewhat like painting and you would need a little heat in the asphalt before applying the sealer although I would think 40-45 degrees [asphalt temp] would be plenty warm enough.

Old 12-10-11, 03:03 PM
M
I'll be having the driveway sealed Tuesday morning. Weather for Tues, Wed, and Thursday will be mostly sunny with highs in the mid to upper 50's and lows in the mid 30's. Hopefully two or three days of sunny skies and these temps will be adequate.

Old 12-10-11, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Got one estimate for $250

???? How big is the driveway? That sounds high but it depends how big. Are they spraying on or rolling/squeegee.

All cracks from my experience with my driveway should be sealed and allowed to dry a substantial amount of time before appling the seal coat.

I have a 80ft driveway x 12ft and it cost around $80 for sealing by hand.

I sealed the cracks myself. First a mix for the larger cracks, then the liquid stuff that is rubberized for the smaller. The guys dont do a good enough job thats why I do myself.

Commercial grade stuff the guy uses. No sand. Although I had a spray on treatment once with sand added and it was crap IMO. They add sand I think because they put on a thin coat.

Mike NJ

Old 12-10-11, 04:49 PM
M
The driveway is about 500 square feet. I would usually do it myself, but I just don't have the time and its a rental property. $250 is a pretty good price around here for labor and materials. Some contractors in the NOVA area won't even work on your house for less than $400. Price you pay for living in a more urban area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: