block foundation cracks ?

Old 01-02-12, 06:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
block foundation cracks ?

hello, gents

the house that i am looking at was built in 1949, and is a bungalow.
it is 1/2 below grade full basement. it has the nicer looking blocks, not the smooth side ones.

the foundation looks straight and in generally good shape.
except, it has some minor cracking at the mortar.
like this. the area to the upper and left of the red X.

i was told that the basement only leeks a little when there is heavy & long rains. by looking at the very minor stain in one spot, i see this to be honest info. the house also has a poor downspout system.

just how bad are these types of cracks ?
and what would be a repair for these ?

thanx

Old 01-02-12, 09:22 PM
B
They are not really show stoppers. I would say they show signs of some minor movement and they are a bit more than a minor checks that usually occur at the middle of a wall as blocks and mortar joints shrink from drying.

You say the foundation and house were built in 49. Well, that wall held well for over 60 years yet has not deviated very much. In the last 60 years those eaves have dumped many gallons of water down the side of the wall. While that dynamic was taking place all that backfill continued to settle and push in on the wall. In addition to that your house has undoubtedly settled ever so slightly.

Just get them ground out and repointed for now. You might stretch some tight mason lines or shoot a lasar level inside from corner along wall to make sure the walls are staying true. Check it for plumb and level. There is a good chance they will last another 60 years. There really are not very many 60 year old block walls that look much better.

bs5

Old 01-03-12, 07:26 PM
C
THANX ! that is what i was hoping, and kind of expecting, to hear.

if i get this house, i will do, as best i can, what you say.

Old 01-19-12, 12:31 PM
B
block repair

by looking at your pictures what i would do is dig down on the outside of the foundation find where there is a crack or something else that is leaking in water if you find a place clean the wall real good clean out crack and put in some backer rod and repoint the where you put in the backer rod, them plaster over with portland or any hyd. cement do the same on the inside of block but don't plaster over the block, i have had about a 95% rate in fixing leaks in regular foundation and block foundations , you can find the backer rod at any home center it comes in all different sizes, and i also usr portland cement to tuck point the joints port land is much stronger and less shaikage good luck to you in what ever you do in this project bigh.

Old 01-19-12, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"Stair-step cracks" like you've shown are not unusual near corners of foundations. They typically occur because of inadequate compaction of the footing subgrade at those locations, either from loose spoils not being cleaned out, or failure to get compaction equipment far enough into the corners. If you buy the place, you can do the repairs yourself (after you've dealt with fixing the downspout drainage problems). Best looking 60-yr.-old block wall I've seen in a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: