1/2 Yard of Concrete

Old 01-07-12, 03:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2 Yard of Concrete

Any recommendations for getting a half a yard of concrete for 4' deep shed support tubes?

When I look at purchasing and mixing small bags it seems like a lot but I need such a small amount in a difficult area I don't see any way around it. It could be supported on Dekblock but I am concerned about freezing and rot as the wooded area can be wet in the spring. The height and depth of concrete is appealing but I am uncertain how best to purchase it. I think if I asked a ready-mix supplier (it could be wheeled or pumped from a small lane) he would tell me that amount would have to be mail order.

Old 01-07-12, 03:18 PM
For just 1/2 yard, you should probably buy and haul bags and mix it yourself as you need it. A ready-mix supplier with have a surcharge or minimum quantity that will decide the cost question.

One of the biggest costs a ready-mix company has is delivery and it costs as much to deliver 1/2 yard as 10 yards. they do not deliver and tie up a truck for a small amount. the rock and cement are probably less than the delivery with a $150,000 truck and a driver that actually costs about $40/hour and small jobs take more time than large "dumps".

Dick

Old 01-07-12, 05:24 PM
J
Bags it is - I thought as much.

Thanks

Old 01-08-12, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
When I lived in central fla, one of the concrete suppliers had a 1 yard [I think] trailer that they would rent out for small jobs. I never used one but would one going up and down the road just about every week..... might be something to check on.

Old 01-08-12, 06:29 AM
P
Dick is right about the cost of ready mix delivery. The only thing I'll add is that if you don't want it delivered, at least look at renting a small mixer. A half yard of concrete is a LOT of mixing, and a wheelbarrow is not a good option for this. By the time you mixed the first few bags by hand, you'd be wishing you spent the extra money on the concrete truck! Not to mention the fact that it's difficult to get a consistent mix in a wheelbarrow. You always end up adding too much water because you think the mix is too dry.

Old 01-08-12, 12:04 PM
J
marksr: A small trailer would be ideal. I will check with the supplier about availability. My neighbor put in a basement a couple of months ago and the trucks went by my house, unfortunately I wasn't planning a shed at the time - thunk on forehead with hand.

Pecos: It definitely seems like a lot of mixing. I recall some small electrical mixers on wheels like a barbecue from years ago. Maybe a rental store would still have such a thing...although by the time I purchase concrete mix in bags, pay for delivery (I only have a car), rent the equipment and the vehicle to get one here it too would be over the top.

The whole thing needs a rethink. Dekblocks could be more ideal than I thought. I will ask around to see if neighbors are building anything requiring concrete in the spring.

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-08-12, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
You won't be able to use dek blocks in Canada due to your frost line. Renting a mixer is a no brainer, fast and consistent if you do it that way. You're talking about 27 each 80# bags of quickrete mix.

Old 01-08-12, 03:57 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have done it both ways. Getting it delivered is better - trust me.
We have 2 local dealers that have a small mixer truck. They have no minimum and the cost is premium compared to the big trucks/large loads. BUT - If you can find somebody like that it's worth it in time and labor saved. One has the advertising slogan on the radio "We have a yard on for you". Obviously he's found a niche supplying small orders.

Check out your local business directory under concrete.

Old 01-08-12, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Or maybe consider really thinking outside of the box, and do a search on "helical piers." You might find a supplier on the island who does them, with a cost that would work for you. Should only need a total of 8 (2 per grade beam). Shallow ones were going for less than $100 each the last time I inquired around these (lower 48) parts.

Old 01-09-12, 03:30 AM
J
Things are progressing, I have been upgraded from a little confused to completely baffled .

I am going to call the local ready-mix supplier and ask about a concrete solution. We are a small market, they may need to be more accommodating. If I work around their schedule and deliveries it may help. I certainly feel better informed and less knowledgeable than I did when starting.

Thanks folks.

Old 01-09-12, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
I needed 3/4 yd of concrete for a small job and the local plant had me wait until they had a near full load and delivered my small batch on their way to the larger job.

You would have to take it fairly quickly but hopefully your local plant would do this for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: