Front walkway settling, what is best way to repair

Old 01-29-12, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front walkway settling, what is best way to repair

One section of the walkway nearest the front porch has settled and now the water is draining against the porch. The porch has settled about 1/4" now allowing the column in the pic to have a small gap.

This rectangular section is seperate from the rest of the walk which makes it easier and cleaner to remove. Once I break it up, what should I use as a filler against the house?

Should I add a plastic pipe under where the walk meets the porch and drain anything that may get in there in the future again to the left?

Not sure what to do about the porch...can't really jack it up I suppose but need to reduce the sinking.

The walkway has dropped about 1" total against the porch.

This is looking away from the porch.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 11:16 AM
An experienced mud-jacking outfit can lift everything with a minimum of disruption. They'll core a few holes, pump grout, fill the holes, and take your money. Removal and replacement is also an option, but I don't see enough settlement in the pix to warrant that.

Believe it or not, I spent close to a week (when I was young and dumb) lifting a small sidewalk slab that had settled a lot more than yours, using a few bottle jacks, timbers, and a fair amount of digging. Lots of grunting and talking to myself. Never again.

Old 01-29-12, 11:56 AM
Settling remedy

after you remove the old walk, get some 1/2" crushed gravel about 3" deeper than you want your new walk to be. and rent a Wacker compactor from your local rental shop the more you comress the gravel the less the new walk will settle. as far as putting pipe under new walk i wouldnt. maybe put a drain across the walk( u shaped with grate to allow water flow) available at your local home improvement store. the porch settling.... the only way to fix would be total removal and rebuild or call a contractor that does Mud Jacking

Old 01-29-12, 01:01 PM
I can live with the porch the way it is since it's very slight, I just don't want it to settle more.

Would laying down a thick piece of plastic under the gravel be a bad idea?

The area I have concern with after the fix is to the right of the walk. There is a small row of hedges and the water needs to get from there to the other side of the walk. That area stays somewhat dry but does get wet at times. I guess what i was referring to as far as the drain is concerned is something like a french drain but with no holes until it's far left of the walk.

This would only be a secondary drain if the water made it that deep.