Gravel lot for apartment building?

Old 02-21-12, 06:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gravel lot for apartment building?

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here. Took me 30 seconds to realize I love this site and then register. Anyway I need some advice on a gravel lot. I have an apartment building with a dirt parking lot, used to be a lawn, the only thing holding it together is the roots from a large nearby tree. The lot is about 20'x20'. I would like to know how to install a gravel lot when I cannot dig (because of roots.)

The lot does not get much traffic, just a few tenants. This is my first gravel installation. Most places say to dig a few inches and border the area with lumber so it does not spread.

It this were my own home, I would not be willing to cut corners

This is a low income apartment building, the quality of the work does not need to be perfect. I just want whats most cost effective over the long run. Any advice is appreciated

Old 02-21-12, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well, you will want to use something like "crusher run" or they may call it parking lot mix.

If you really can't dig...then you'll just have to raise the height.

Old 02-21-12, 10:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Crusher run would likely be my choice as well. When you call to order the gravel, you can discuss with them what will work best - they'll know what is generally used in your area for your soil type.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-21-12, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is probably the same stuff, but here they call it "base", and it has rock dust still in it. It will harden to a degree with the first rain. Does pretty good for our driveways here in the country, and that is without a build up. If you build borders to raise the edges, then it will last much longer.

Old 02-21-12, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ahh...that's the name they used in OH..."driveway mix". My parents got 30-40 tons every couple of years. Works best if it gets compacted a bit after being spread out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: