Stained outside patio too hot to walk on!

Old 03-14-12, 12:17 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stained outside patio too hot to walk on!

I have a concrete patio that has been stained with a Benjamin Moore product. It is only about 5 years old and in great condition except for one problem......I live in Florida and the surface gets too hot to walk on barefoot. I have been told there is a finish or product that can be applied to concrete that is cool to the touch, even in Florida conditions. Can anyone tell me what this product is and if it can be applied over a previously stained concrete patio????

Old 03-14-12, 02:00 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are several things you could do, but what they're probably referring to is "Kool Deck", a thin cementitious coating. Real Kool Deck is applied right after the concrete is poured, but there are similar products that cover existing concrete called concrete overlays. These are polymer modified cement coatings that go on about 1/8 of an inch thick or so. They are typically not do-it-youself products, but are instead something a contractor would do for you. They would strip the existing stain first.
Keep in mind that the lighter the color, the cooler it will be because it will reflect sunlight instead of absorbing it like dark colors will.

Old 03-14-12, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Far cheaper fix is to wear sandals (or even shoes!).

Old 03-14-12, 10:18 PM
A
just a thought..how about some overhead or ground level misters that spray over the surface

Old 03-26-12, 07:57 AM
B
Would an awning or some other form of shade be an option? If the sun doesn't shine on the concrete it will stay much cooler.

Old 03-28-12, 07:04 PM
E
a tile guy, the mister sound like good idea, I have sprayed my driveway to cool things down. But unless you cool it off, and keep it cool, it makes a lot of humidity in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: