Concrete Countertop

Old 03-26-12, 10:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Countertop

This is actually and indoor question, but I didn't see anywhere to post it. I am wanting to make concrete countertops for my bathroom remodels I am doing. I can't find any "countertop mix" here. The closest is over 3 hours away. What would you recommend that I use for a concrete mix for my countertops? Thanks!

Old 03-27-12, 04:10 AM
P
You can send away for some countertop mix, or you can use something simple like quikrete 5000. If you want to cast it upside down, use countertop mix or be prepared to vibrate the living %#** out of it. If you don't, you'll have all kinds of bugholes and honeycombing to patch when you de-mold it. FYI, it's NOT better to mix concrete wetter than the instructions call for (to make it flow better). If you do, you just get weak concrete.

Old 03-27-12, 09:04 AM
W
Thanks for the response. It looks like I'll be waiting til I go to Albuquerque or Lubbock again to get my mix. I can only imagine what the shipping would be. When I was reading about the concrete mix it did say that a vibration table wasn't necessary when you used it. I am planning to mold it upside down on melamine.

Another question. Is there any other way to get an integral sink without buying one of the expensive molds?

Old 03-27-12, 10:04 AM
P
Sure it's possible, but you'd need to be a highly experienced form builder or mold maker. I doubt that it would be in the realm of DIY unless the diyer is very highly skilled.

As to the mix and vibration: different mixes have different properties so make sure you're buying the same one you read about.

Old 03-27-12, 10:42 AM
W
That was what I was afraid of. And I'm sure no one is renting out their expensive molds to DIY'ers! I guess I'll just go with an undermount sink. I found a couple on ebay.

Old 03-27-12, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'd be surprised if you couldn't special order some countertop mix at a reasonable price. If you are willing to wait it would come in with their regular shipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: