Question about staining interior concrete

Old 03-26-12, 06:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about staining interior concrete

I recently purchased a house and pulled up the old carpet and tack strips from my den. When the tack strips were removed a little bit of concrete was pulled up with some of the nails. I know these spots would need to be patched and sanded smooth before attempting to stain it. My question is after repairing the floor will the spots still show through the stain?

Also, there's a blog I found of a DIY project where an individual did a similar project but painted his floors with an off white latex paint. Once it dried he then used a semi transparent concrete stain over top of the paint then sealed it. From the pictures it looks good and he says there's no issues with chipping or pealing. I'm just wondering how well this would hold up being put over latex and concrete?

Old 03-27-12, 04:03 AM
P
The tack strip patches will take the stain differently than the rest of the floor. That's why many people create a darker border around the perimeter of the slab. Dark colors hide the patches better.

Based on about 30 years in concrete, I think paint on concrete is always a bad idea and becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Old 03-27-12, 09:06 PM
N
Besides a few places that need patched, the concrete is pretty much smooth throughout. There are a few places near the center of the floor that have a rough appearance, kind of texture like a side walk would be then the surrounding areas are smooth. Is it ok to stain over this or should I have this rougher section sanded/grinded smooth before doing an interior stain?

Old 03-28-12, 05:01 AM
P
The rougher part will catch and hold dirt, make sweeping difficult, and look bad. If you can afford it, have the whole floor ground and/or polished so it's uniform. Google search for "polished and dyed concrete" and see what you find. Polished concrete floors are stunning and hold up much better than topically stained/sealed floors do.
If you want cheap or strictly diy, then it's whatever you can live with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: