Concrete Block Wall Questions

Old 04-13-12, 12:49 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Block Wall Questions

Building a 5' block wall that is retaining 2' feet of non-sloping yard, then 3' non-retaining. . . 150' in length. . . . footer is done, just trying to order block now which is where I need help.

1. It seems that Medium Weight (vs. Light Weight or Normal Weight) is the standard and will be fine for my job, correct?

2. What is best to use, Stretcher CMUs or basic, squared CMUs that have square corners all around?

3. Do I need to use Bond Beam CMUs at the top for strength, or is my wall short enough that it is not necessary?

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Last edited by pbody; 04-13-12 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-13-12, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For appearances you will need a cap unit of some sort or size to fit with the wall thickness you have (probably 8").

Either normal weight or medium weight will probably be far beyond the usual ASTM C90 requirements.

Use the appropriate shapes necessary for your application since the wall is just a functional element. Contractors usually prefer stretcher units for longer walls, but some suppliers provide a mix of stretcher units and corner units in a 2:1 ratio for 8" block.

For your location, slump block (colored and 4" high have been desirable for many years) and are readily available.

There is nothing wrong with garden variety plain 8" block for your use.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: