2 ?'s about staining/painting concrete

Old 04-22-12, 07:29 AM
2 ?'s about staining/painting concrete

Hello, I've questions about 2 different concrete staining/painting questions.
1- We're thinking of staining the exposed concrete foundation of our house, which would be about 2-3 feet from the ground to the start of the vinyl siding. The foundation is 8 years old. From what I've read about staining concrete (which seems is preferred over painting), it needs to be cleaned first (power wash, stiff brush, remove grease/stains etc), then acid etched. Is the acid etching needed for a job like this, when it is a vertical application, rather than a flat surface that will be walked on, etc? If so, won't the acid damage/kill grass/plants near the foundation??
2- a few years ago, we painted our concrete garage floor using one of the grey garage floor paints from a local big box store (paint, not epoxy). As feared, it started to peel and flake in certain areas (tire tracks). We're considering redoing it in a higher quality epoxy application. What I'm wondering is what is the easiest way to remove the old paint on the floor (it's been down about 2 years and was put over the original concrete.) If power washing doesn't do it, is there anything thing will make this easier, it's a 2 car garage.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
While I've applied a solid concrete stain on a fair amount of concrete floors, I don't think I've used any on a wall. Usually a foundation wall gets primed and painted. Paint on exterior foundation walls usually fares pretty well. If it was mine, I'd clean, coat with a masonry primer and finish with a quality house paint. An acid etch shouldn't be needed unless the concrete finish is extra slick.

It would be best to remove 95% of the paint on the garage floor. With a bit of luck, scraping and pressure washing will do the job. If not, apply a paint stripper to the well adhere areas, let it work, scrape and rinse. This will introduce a lot of moisture into the concrete so make sure it's good and dry before you attempt to apply any new coating.

Old 04-29-12, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Concrete Stain or Textured Paint

On foundation walls it is easier to apply a solid concrete stain than preparing the concrete for paint. Also, it tends to penetrate the block more than a paint will and usually is designed to hold up better for efflorescence.

Concrete Coatings will always fail unless you start with mechanical blasting or etching the original concrete surface to a profile similar to 80 grit sandpaper. See if you can find a floor grinder to sand the existing floor to remove the loose paint and give the concrete a profile.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-29-12 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising NOT allowed
Old 08-27-12, 03:13 PM
Painting Basement concrete floors and walls

Does anyone have an opinion on what type of paint to use on basement concrete floors in a 50 yrs old home? We are selling the family home after parents have passed and it was built in the 60's. It is a solid home...no water issues in basement. My sister, who is in charge, wants to paint the floor "Taupe" enamel paint to make it look more like a living space, instead of the workshop that it was.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
The Obergs

Old 08-27-12, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Does the floor have any coating on it now? If it's never been painted, I'd clean it and apply a coat of latex concrete stain. That will clean up the floor and takes the least amount of effort.

Old 08-27-12, 04:03 PM
It has been a couple months since we have been there. From what we recall, the floor is clean--no paint. We were planning on cleaning the floors last and painting it with an enamel meant for concrete floors. Walls are painted white...no chipping. We have been told to clean the walls with a bleach/water mixture 1:10 to get the gunk off them, then will paint with a WaterTite type of paint. Does this make sense? We are limited to 3 days this weekend to get it all done, thus we need to clean as best as possible and 'Get-R-Done'.

Old 08-27-12, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Concrete enamel paint comes in both latex and oil base. The oil base wears better but takes longer to dry and has a strong odor. Both will require a primer, some floor enamels say to thin the enamel 10% and use it for the primer - check the label on the floor paint you decide to use to make sure you use the appropriate primer. Latex will be more forgiving if the floor isn't absolutely dry.

What kind of 'gunk' is on the walls? are the walls poured concrete or block? Whatever cleaning agent is used should be rinsed well so there is no danger of adhesion problems. If the walls already have a good solid coat of drylok [or similar] it would be ok to just use regular latex wall paint.